Indie Business Awards
Tuesday November 13, 2018
6:00 – 9:00 pm
7:00 pm Program*
Day Block Event Center
1103 S Washington Ave, Minneapolis 55415
Appetizers and Cash Bar
Business – Business Casual Dress
*Silent auction featuring Twin Cities Dining & Experiences 6pm through close of program.
The Twin Cities Indie Business Awards are held annually to celebrate the many economic and social benefits that local, independent business has on our community. All are invited.
2018 Twin Cities Indie Business Award Categories and Finalists:
Founder Award: Honoring a business with a consistent and long-term impact on the local community
Emerging Award: Honoring a business in its beginning stages and is stepping to the forefront of our local independent business community
Impact Award: Honoring a business committed to positively influencing the community through local sourcing and sustainable business practices
Non-profit Award: Honoring a non-profit which exemplifies giving back to the local community and upholding the values of our mission to support local independent business in the Twin Cities
Gary Mazzone Award: Honoring an individual who advocates for local independent business in a way which inspires others.
Meet the Judges
Thank you 2018 Indie Award judges
Sara Stern, Family Business Minnesota
Thank you Sponsors
Interested in Sponsoring the Indie Awards?
Do you want to be the one to announce “And the winner is….?” Learn more about Sponsorship levels and premiums
Volunteers and Swag Items
Members, promote your business to all attending by including your promotional items, samples, special offers, coupons, etc.. to the swag bags! Pick-up available. Signup online or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
And sign up for a volunteer shift at the event. From welcome host to designated social media poster – we have opportunities for all. Shifts are short. Signup online or contact email@example.com
Indie Business Award process:
Nominations were open to the public earlier this year. After certifying that nominees meet the requirements (listed below), they were contacted and asked to provide information to help the judges’ decision making. The finalists will be announced in September and the winners will be announced at the Twin Cities Indie Business Awards event in November.
To be eligible, a nominee:
- Must have their primary place of business in the 7-county Twin Cities Metropolitan Area: Anoka, Ramsey, Hennepin, Washington, Dakota, Scott, and Carver.
- Must be locally owned, at least 51% by individuals residing within a 75-mile radius of the Minnesota State Capitol Building.
- Must be free to make their own business decisions without the need for approval by owners or affiliates outside the area (this does not bar participation in decisions by minority owners residing outside the area).
- Must not be a publicly traded corporation.
Past Finalists & Winners (in bold)
- Founder: BankCherokee, Bartmann Group, Milton Investment Company
- Emerging: Healing Elements, The Herbivorous Butcher, St. Paul Media
- Impact: Golden Fig Fine Foods, Peace Coffee, Wet Paint
- Individual: KB Brown, Katey Dupay, Harvey Zuckman
- Non-profit: Reve Academy, Saint Paul Almanac, Tech Dump
- Founder: Davis Law Office, Imagehaus, JNBA Financial Advisors
- Emerging: Minneapolis Craft Market, MidModMen+Friends, Red Cow
- Impact: Barbette, Birchwood, Cafe Southside
- Individual: Gary Mazzone, Harvey Zuckman, Susan Champion
- Non-profit: Community Shares of MN, Tech Dump, Urban Oasis