Indie Business Awards
The Twin Cities Indie Business Awards are held annually to celebrate the many economic and social benefits that local, independent business have on our community.
Join us Tuesday November 14th from 6:00 – 9:00pm at Day Block Event Center as we celebrate the 2017 awards. Event details and Registration. All are welcome. Reservations requested for this complimentary event. Appetizers and Cash Bar. Live Auction.
Award Categories & 2017 Finalists:
- Founders: A business with a consistent and long-term impact on the local community.
- Bartmann Group
- Milton Investment Company
Emerging: A business in its beginning stages and is stepping to the forefront of the independent business community
- Healing Elements
- The Herbivorous Butcher
- St. Paul Media
Impact: A business committed to positively influencing the community through local sourcing and sustainable business practices.
- Golden Fig Fine Foods
- Peace Coffee
- Wet Paint
The Gary Mazzone Award: An individual who advocates for local business in ways that inspires others.
- K.B. Brown
- Katie Dupay
- Harvey Zuckman
Nonprofit: A nonprofit that exemplifies giving back to the local community and upholding the values of our mission.
- Rêve Academy
- Saint Paul Almanac
- Tech Dump
Congratulations to all who who nominated and all who were chosen as a finalist!
Thank you to our Indie Award Sponsors!
Premier Sponsor: Sunrise Banks
Award Sponsor: Community Shares of Minnesota, Hellmuth & Johnson, Key Insurance
Event Sponsor: Aspen Waste, Cardinal Realty, Common Roots Catering, Litin Eco Paper, Maguire Agency, Paulet Slater Insurance, Schaaf Floral, thedatabank,gbc, Wood From the Hood
Auction Sponsor: Coalition Restaurant, St. Paul Saints
Special Thank You to our Host Sponsors: Day Block Event Center and Day Block Brewing
2017 Indie Award Judges
The panel of judges for the 2017 Indie Business Awards incude:
- Steve LeBeau, Minnesota Business Magazine
- Sara Stern, Family Business Minnesota
- Dr. Bruce Corrie, Associate Vice President for University Relations and International Programs Concordia University
Interested in Sponsoring the Indie Awards?
Do you want to be the one to announce “And the winner is….?” Learn more about Sponsorship levels and premiums
Volunteers and Swag Items
Members, promote your business to all attending by including your promotional items, samples, special offers, coupons, etc.. to the swag bags! Pick-up or Drop-off available.
And sign up for a volunteer shift at the event. From welcome host to designated social media poster – we have opportunities for all. Shifts are short – signup today online.
Indie Business Award process:
Nominations were open to the public Jan 1 – March 15. After certifying that nominees meet the requirements (listed below), they were contacted and asked to provide information to help the judges’ decision making. The finalists were announced Oct 9th. The winners will be announced at the Twin Cities Indie Business Awards event November 14th.
To be eligible, a nominee:
- Must have their primary place of business in the 7-county Twin Cities Metropolitan Area: Anoka, Ramsey, Hennepin, Washington, Dakota, Scott, and Carver.
- Must be locally owned, at least 51% by individuals residing within a 75-mile radius of the Minnesota State Capitol Building.
- Must be free to make their own business decisions without the need for approval by owners or affiliates outside the area (this does not bar participation in decisions by minority owners residing outside the area).
- Must not be a publicly traded corporation.
Nominations for the 2018 Indie Business Awards will open to the public January 8, 2017. Please revisit our site to make your nominations.
Past Finalists & Winners (in bold)
- Founder: Davis Law Office, IMAGEHAUS, JNBA Financial Advisors
- Emerging: MINNEAPOLIS CRAFT MARKET, MidModMen+Friends, Red Cow
- Impact: Barbette, Birchwood, CAFE SOUTHSIDE
- Individual: Gary Mazzone, Harvey Zuckman, SUSAN CHAMPION
- Non-profit: COMMUNITY SHARES OF MN, Tech Dump, Urban Oasis