What we do
We work to ensure that the public understands the importance of independent business in our community and educate public sector decision makers on what is important to our members. The ideas and concerns of independent business owners are often overpowered by bigger, louder voices. MetroIBA seeks to unify the voices of the our members to create a meaningful impact in the community.
Current Priority Issues MetroIBA members identified a few issues which have been critical to their business and groups have been advocating for needed changes. Read about activity on these priorities:
State Issue Healthcare
Adopting a healthcare system that makes good business sense.
State Issue ADA Compliance
MetroIBA’s efforts to prevent unethical abuse of the state’s disability human rights laws took a major step forward on April 8, 2016
Local Issue 2040 Plan
Priorities to be considered during the comprehensive planning process.
Advocating to Consumers
Independent Businesses are the backbone of our community. They keep our community vital, maintain its unique character, and provide personalized service to community members. MetroIBA works to tell that story across a variety of platforms so consumers have the complete story when considering where to shop or who to hire as a critical business partner. Consider that:
- Independent businesses recirculate 3X as much revenue per sales dollar into local economies than national businesses do.
- They create jobs. Over half of Americans are employed in a small business.
- The products and services they offer are often locally-sourced and unique, and often reflect local tastes.
- Independent business ownership keeps the American dream alive for millions of citizens and immigrants.
- Community support is a vital contribution. These businesses support the local non-profits, schools, teams and events that shape the community.
- They are better environmental citizens, polluting less, using fewer infrastructure resources, and often have shorter distribution channels.
Join our followers on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn to stay abreast of our activities
July 14, 2021
Executive Order seeks to curb big business
June 17, 2021
Antimonopoly legislation in process!
April 28, 2021
Independent Businesses Launch Coalition to Fight Monopoly Power
March 8, 2021
Women-owned businesses are a driver to our economy. Find out why.
February 22, 2021
Black-owned business vital to our community. Here’s how you can help.
January 20, 2021
Bank Local! Drive Growth in Your Community
August 23, 2018
MetroIBA Survey: Small Business & Health Insurance
August 23, 2018